There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.
– Nelson Mandela
In times of trouble, we lean on family and friends. For many foster children, that support network doesn’t exist.
You can change that. By opening your home to a foster child, you can provide safety, stability, structure and kindness.
You have what it takes, and we provide extensive training and ongoing support. We are here to help 24 hours a day, every day.
It’s something you’ve thought about – now is the time to act.
Each of our foster care programs has unique criteria but both provide training, generous monthly stipends, and ongoing support to foster families and children. Wraparound services are tailored to each family and child.
Foster parents in our Therapeutic Foster Care program help children ages 6-17 who have experienced emotional trauma that they exhibit through challenging and risky behaviors. They need help learning to take good care of themselves and function well in school, in a family and with others. Our children need optimistic and firm, nurturing adults (at least 21 years of age) who can provide safety, structure and consistency, as well as guidance and positive modeling.
- Foster families can consist of one or two stay-at-home or working parents.
- You will receive extensive training prior to and after you are matched with a child.
- Space in your home, adequate income to support your family’s needs and reliable transportation is required.
- You will be a member of a ‘parenting team.’ Each child is matched, and meets weekly, with a care manager, and receives outpatient clinical and other services.
- You and your foster child will benefit from 24/7 support from The Village.
Foster parents in our Family and Community Ties program care for youth who are returning from treatment facilities back to their communities where they can strengthen their connections with natural and community support. The youth in need of foster families are referred from the Department of Children and Families due to psychiatric and/or behavioral issues. Because of their specialized needs, these children need foster homes with two caregivers and preferably no other children under age 18, with at least one caregiver available at all times.
- The Village offers a wraparound approach that is individualized for the child and your family.
- The child will receive intensive, frequent (4 hours/week minimum) home-based clinical services.
- You will complete intensive training in behavior management to help you understand and help manage your foster child’s behavior.
- The Village will connect you with other community support and necessary services that will help maintain placement of your foster child.
- Length of placement is limited – up to 18 months.
Everybody needs somebody…A child needs you.
To learn more, call us today or attend one of our monthly information sessions.