The Village and United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut are partnering to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which provides free tax preparation services for individuals and families earning up to $55,000 per year in the Greater Hartford, Enfield, Manchester, Vernon and Windham communities.
We rely on partners throughout the community to help us spread the word about this valuable service. The tools included here will help you get information out to your members, clients, constituents and friends about VITA. We are grateful for your help!
If you need further assistance or don’t see something you need listed here, please contact Abigail Woodhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-236-4511 x3348.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) helps eligible individuals and families prepare and file their tax returns – at no cost.
- Who’s eligible? Individuals and families earning up to $55,000 per year in the Greater Hartford, Enfield, Manchester and Windham communities.
- Last tax season, nearly taxpayers in central and northeastern CT received over $18.6 million in federal refunds and credits.
- Through VITA, individuals and families save money on costly tax preparation fees, and are more likely to access valuable credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The IRS estimates that 20 percent of eligible taxpayers do not claim the federal EITC.
- VITA also helps them avoid refund anticipation loans that predatory tax preparers encourage.
- The assistance is provided by IRS-trained and certified volunteers.
VITA builds a stronger community because refund dollars are often invested locally. Families have used refunds to pay bills and household expenses, for much-needed repairs or to pay down debt. For every dollar invested in the VITA campaign, an estimated $44 is returned to the community.
- Filers get their refunds in 7-10 days on a pre-paid debit card and are offered other opportunities to save and grow their refunds. VITA also provides information, access and referrals to asset-building opportunities, financial education and other similar resources in the community.
- VITA is provided by The Village for Families & Children and United Way of Central and Northeastern CT.
- Free online self-preparation and tax help is also available for people earning up to $66,000/year at myfreetaxes.com.
There are about 25 VITA sites throughout the central CT region. Filers can visit www.211ct.org and click on ‘Tax Help’ or call 2-1-1 and press 3 then 6 to schedule an appointment.
View site locations and hours here> (Appointments are required to receive services)
HELP SPREAD THE WORD
Distribute electronically or in hardcopy (let us know if you would like us to supply you with copies)
English & Spanish (2 pages) (.pdf)
Share on social media:
Facebook Video (link)
Click the link to access the video on Facebook, and then Share the video to your page.
VITA logo (.jpg)
Click the image to open a full-size graphic, right-click on image, then click on Save image as…
If you would like to visit a VITA site, interview someone (staff, volunteer, client) for an article or story, or need additional resources to help spread the word about VITA, please contact Abigail Woodhouse, email@example.com, 860-236-4511 x3348.