Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) provides free tax preparation services for individuals and families earning up to $54,000 per year in the Greater Hartford, Enfield, Manchester, Vernon and Windham communities. VITA also provides information, access and referrals to asset-building opportunities, financial education and other similar resources in these communities.
VITA provides access to valuable credits, saving individuals and families money on costly tax preparation fees, and helping them avoid refund anticipation loans that predatory tax preparers encourage.
Access Services & Find Locations
VITA is available to filers earning up to $54,000/year.
To schedule an appointment for service, visit www.211ct.org and click on “Tax Help” or dial 2-1-1, and press 3 then 6. A list of locations and hours can be found at the bottom of this page (appointments are required).
In addition to face-to-face tax assistance, free online self-preparation and tax help is available for people who make up to $64,000 at www.myfreetaxes.com.
What Filers Should Bring:
- proof of identification – picture ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- if not eligible for a SSN, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers (Please make sure that you have received all of your tax documents from all of your employers before visiting the tax centers.)
- interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
- total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
If you do not have a Social Security Number for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.
The Village is proud to partner with the United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut, and United Way of Connecticut/2-1-1.
Appointments are highly recommended. To schedule an appointment, visit www.211ct.org and click on “Tax Help” or dial 2-1-1, and press 3 then 6.
|Greater Hartford and Central CT|
|Asnuntuck Community College||170 Elm Street, Enfield||Wed: 6 – 9 pm
Sat: 8 – 1 pm
|Capital Community College||950 Main Street, Hartford||Tue – Fri: 12 – 4 pm|
|CRT||330 Market St, Hartford||Tue & Thu: 9 am – 6 pm|
|CRT||395 Wethersfield Ave, Hartford||Sat: 9 am – 12 pm|
|CRT||44 Hamlin Street, Middletown||Mon & Fri: 8 am – 3 pm|
|Goodwin College||1 Pent Drive, East Hartford||Sat: 9 – 11:30 am|
|Hands on Hartford||55 Bartholemew Avenue||Wed: 4 – 7 pm
Sun: 1 – 5 pm
|Hartford Public Library||500 Main St, Hartford||Tue – Thu: 4 – 7 pm
Sat: 10 am – 3 pm
|KIDSAFE CT||19 Elm Street, Vernon||Mon: 5:30 – 8:30 pm
Sat: 9 am – 12 pm
|Manchester Community College||60 Bidwell Street, Manchester||Fri: 9 am – 6 pm
Sat: 9 am – 2 pm
|Mi Casa||590 Park Street, Hartford||Tue & Thu: 5 – 8 pm
Wed: 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
|Parker Memorial Community Center||2621 Main Street, Hartford||Mon & Tue: 4:30 – 7:30 pm|
|Pope Park||30 Pope Park Dr, Hartford||Mon & Thu: 4:30 – 7:30 pm|
|The Village||331 Wethersfield Ave, Hartford||Mon, Tue & Thu: 5:30 – 8:30 pm|
|University of Hartford||200 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford||Sat (every other): 12:30 – 5:30 pm
Sun: 12:30 – 5:30 pm
|Upper Albany Neighborhood Collaborative||1229 Albany Ave, Hartford||Sat: 9 am – 1 pm|
|Urban League of Greater Hartford||140 Woodland St., Hartford||Sat: 9 am – 2 pm|
|Windsor Locks||50 Church St., Windsor Locks||Thu: 6 – 9 pm
Sat: 9 am – 2 pm
|YWCA Greater Hartford||135 Broad Street, Hartford||Tue & Wed: 5 – 8 pm
Sat: 9 am – 12 pm
|Putnam Public Library||225 Kennedy Drive, Putnam||Wed: 4:30 – 7:30 pm
Fri: 1 – 5 pm
|Stafford Public Library||10 Levinthal Run, Stafford Springs||Thu: 4:30 – 7:30 pm
Sat: 10 am – 2 pm
|TEEG (Thompson Ecumenical Empowerment Group)||15 Thatcher Road, North Grosvenordale||Sat: 9 am – 12 pm|
|University of Connecticut||2100 Hillside Road, Storrs||Mon, Tue & Thu: 6 – 9 pm
Fri: 9 am – 1 pm
|Windham Heights Community Center||202C Scott Road, Willimantic||Wed: 9 am – 12 pm
Sat & Sun: 9 am – 2 pm