For more than 200 years, The Village has been dedicated to building a community of strong, healthy families who protect and nurture children.
Established in 1809 by a committed group of women, the Hartford Female Beneficent Society, The Village’s name and services have changed but the desire to assist children and families has remained constant.
1809 - 2022
The Hartford Female Beneficent Society (FBS) adopts its first child.
FBS and HOA merge.
A group of civic-minded women formed auxiliaries, many of whom had adopted children from one of The Village’s predecessors, creating opportunities to mobilize funds for charities. The Village’s auxiliary-run Second Chance Shops in Glastonbury, Simsbury, Suffield and West Hartford continue to prosper today.
Helping shape governmental social policies became a priority for The Village’s predecessor organizations. Focus changed to addressing issues of poverty, racial inequality and urban life matters in Greater Hartford, as well from a focus on adoption to placement of older children with special needs.
Incorporating more than a dozen predecessor organizations, Child and Family Services changes its official name to The Village for Families & Children.
Four Family Resource Centers (FRCs) open throughout Hartford.
Cottages at 1680 Albany Avenue are refurbished. A safe home opens in response to need for short-term placement for children removed from home to assess and plan for permanency.
A sub-acute unit opens as a step-down program for children discharged from a psychiatric setting to prepare for community living.
2020, 2021, 2022
Through the COVID-19 pandemic, The Village continues to help clients build resilience and navigate challenges to their mental, physical and financial health and expanded services to meet increased need.